Under the direction of the National Security Agency, the National IA Education and Training Program (NIETP) certifies course content to meet national standards set forth by the Committee on National Security Systems (CNSS). The course evaluation process is called the Information Assurance Course Evaluation (IACE).
See http://www.nsa.gov/ia/academic_outreach/iace_program/index.shtml for more information.
Three MIS courses qualify for CNSS certificates. They are:
- MIS 415/515 (Information Security in Public and Private Sectors)
- MIS 416/516 (Information Security, Risk Mgmt., Disaster Recovery)
- MIS 417/517 (Systems Security Management)
Upon successful completion of MIS 415 or MIS 515 (Information Security in Public and Private Sectors) students will qualify for two certifications:
- Information Systems Security Professionals, (National Security Telecommunications and Information Systems Security Instruction) NSTISSI No. 4011, and
- Senior Systems Managers, CNSS No. 4012
Upon successful completion of MIS 416 or MIS 516 (Information Security, Risk Mgmt., Disaster Recovery) students will qualify for:
- Risk Analysts, CNSS No. 4016, Entry Level
Upon successful completion of MIS 417 or MIS 517 (Systems Security Management) students will qualify for:
- Systems Administrators, CNSS No. 4013
These CNSS course certifications will be valid for the Eller MIS department through June 2013.
To view recipients of CNSS certificates, visit CNSS Certificate Awards.
In addition to the above, students completing the courses will be elgible for the following
- The Graduate Certificate in Enterprise Information Security, from The University of Arizona’s Graduate College (for-credit earning student status only)
- The MIS Departmental Enterprise Security Certificate
- CPE units for CISSP, ISSAP, ISSEP, ISSMP, CAP and SSCP designation(s). These designations are offered by (ISC)².
- CPE units for CISM and CRISC designations which are offered by ISACA.
- One year of qualified work experience towards the the Certified Information Security Manager® (CISM®) designation.*
For more information on MIS Distance Learning Courses and the Enterprise Security Certificate program, please visit http://MISOnline.Eller.Arizona.Edu.
*As of 17 May 2012, the University of Arizona, Department of Management Information Systems, Eller College of Management, Security Graduate Certificate as submitted to ISACA was found to be in alignment with the ISACA® Model Curriculum for Information Security Management, 2nd Edition. Graduates of this program qualify for one year work experience toward the Certified Information Security Manager® (CISM®) designation.